July 2014 PASTOR’S LETTER…
WHAT’S GOING ON THIS SUMMER?
I was reading through the Gospel Lessons for the Sundays in July and August. Here’s a short synopsis of what to expect…
For the four Sundays in July:
1. Jesus wants to place a yoke upon us (Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30)
2. Jesus tells a seedy story (Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23)
3. Jesus sends angels to collect evildoers to be thrown into the fire (Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43)
4. Jesus talks of angels, fire, weeping and gnashing of teeth again (Matthew 13:31-33, 44-52)
Continuing with the five Sundays in August:
1. Jesus has the disciples prepare for a huge picnic (Matthew 14:13-21)
2. The disciples think they see a ghost & Peter nearly drowns (Matthew 14:22-33)
3. Jesus offends the Pharisees and calls a Canaanite woman a dog (Matthew 15:21-28)
4. Jesus orders his disciples to keep a big secret (Matthew 16:13-20)
5. Jesus gets upset with Peter and then talks about payback time (Matthew 16:21-28)
Being yoked with God; seedy stories; throwing evil people into a furnace; miraculously feeding a huge crowd; ghosts; near drowning’s; offending people; secret missions and paybacks – who needs a fictional novel for excitement over the summer? There’s more than enough going on in these passages to stimulate our thoughts and keep us awake into the wee hours of the morning.
Consider the above scriptures… what would your message be if you were called upon to proclaim the meaning of these things to God’s people? I know that many people vacation over the summer months. We all need to find that “quiet place to rest.” It is my hope that each of you will be in worship every Sunday, whether here or wherever your travels take you. May your summer be filled with the presence of God and may his Word have an impact on your life. Be a blessing to others and live each day to it’s fullest…
1. If a family from another country moved in next door, how
might you welcome them to the neighborhood?
2. In what way was Peter's understanding of God changed by his
3. Why did Peter suddenly stop talking? (10:44-46)
4. How do cultural and religious barriers hinder growth in our
5. What is the first step you could take to show respect for a racial
or cultural group that is different from you?
Warriors Mark UMC,
1840 Centre Line Road,
Warriors Mark, PA 16877 Phone: (814) 632-6906
Copyright (c)2011 Warriors Mark United Methodist Church
Web Hosting and Design by OurChurch.Com | Administrator