Join us Sunday’s at 10:45 a.m. !!



History of WMUMC


Warriors Mark United Methodist Church



In 1810, a log meeting house or church was built on ground which the records say, was given by Frederick Hyskell for a cemetery and a place to erect a Methodist church. This is what is known today as Burket Cemetery – about 1 mile from the center of Warriors Mark. There is no known picture of this building.
In 1919 a marble marker was placed in Burket Cemetery marking the site of the first Methodist Church erected in 1810.


The Methodist people secured a lot in the new village of Warriors Mark and built a large wooden one-story structure with a basement. This is on the same site currently occupied by the present building. The church was near the road and entered from the north, facing the G.G. Hutchison residence.
Rev. W. A. Carver, who was a junior preacher in Warriors Mark in 1872, visited the Warriors Mark Church on Homecoming Sunday, August 1936 and drew from memory a pencil sketch of the church built in 1840. This is a reproduction of the sketch.


The congregation built a large, two-story structure with a shapely steeple in 1873. It cost $7,000. The neighboring Presbyterians contributed a church bell that could be heard throughout the valley.
This building continued to serve Methodism until January 28, 1929 when it was totally destroyed by fire. The people in Sunday School casually mentioned the smelling of smoke. No one investigated and as the services progressed, so did the fire within the walls. About a half hour after the worship service was over and the people had departed, the bell in the steeple began to ring. As they looked toward the church they saw dense smoke rising above it. The smell of smoke had become a reality, but in spite of every attempt to save it, the lovely structure burned down. Men and women carried everything out that was loose, even removing some of the beautiful glass windows thinking they could be used in the church that would be rebuilt. The front wall of the building bearing the dedicatory tablet “Erected in 1873” stood up to be the last part of the church to give way. The bell and steeple went shortly before, and the bell, ruined by the heat, never rang again.

1929 – 1930

After the fire of January 28, 1929, the congregation immediately set to work to build again and the present church, built of native stone hauled from the Allegheny Mountains and trimmed with native limestone was erected and dedicated just a year after the fire, February 2, 1930. The total expenditure was $38,500, plus $2,000 donated in labor and materials. Insurance on the old building provided $12,000 and contributions during the time of building amounted to $14,500 leaving a debt at the time of dedication of $12,000, which was paid in full by the end of the fiscal year 1942 – 1943. The bell given in 1873, was placed in the bell tower and continues to ring today.

1993 – 1994

The addition was added to the rear of the church which contains a large multi-purpose room , kitchen, six classrooms, library, restrooms equipped with showers, secretary’s office, and pastor’s office. At the same time the addition was built, the sanctuary was renovated to a setting capacity of 300.